Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Downside to Paradise

This unfortunate side affect to our time in the Keys has been building for days, and now has climaxed to the point that I've spent two sleepless nights with unbearable itching!

I finally have been doing some research to see what I'm been bitten by, and why the bites don't seem to get any better - only worse!

It appears that I am covered with bites from the infamous Florida "No see ums" - something the travel agent won't tell you about, but sites like Trip Advisor does. It also appears that I've done just about everything wrong as far as preventing the bites. I've been out at sunrise and sunset looking at the beautiful sky; I've been wearing flip flops; I've not been wearing bug spray with Deet; etc. I also learned that unlike mosquito bites, bites from no see ums can last (and itch like crazy) for weeks.

So this morning I biked to Layton and spent money on buying Benadryl, a spray with Lidocaine, etc. to try and treat myself. I don't think I've ever experienced anything that itches quite this bad . . .believe me, next time, I will be better prepared with some prevention practices!!

In spite of it all, I'm still glad to have witnessed the glorious sunrises and sunsets each night. They will remain in my memories long after the itching stops! I'm just hoping the cold weather I hear that Minneapolis is expecting tomorrow ( I fly back tomorrow) will help shrink the ugly welts I have all over my body!

No comments:

Post a Comment